Healing From a Challenging Childbirth
We expect childbirth to be a demanding but satisfying send-off into parenthood, but for many women, it turns into something far less positive — a frightening, distressing event which can have long term physical and/or emotional consequences. These individual sessions are for mothers who have had such a birth.
There is no ‘litmus’ test for traumatic birth. What is important is whether or not it was distressing to YOU. If you are having upsetting memories of the birth, nightmares, find yourself avoiding anything that reminds you of the birth or having difficulties bonding with the baby, these sessions will gently and thoughtfully help you process your experience and begin healing. The cost is $50/hour and most sessions last for 1-2 hours. To make an appointment, contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the first weeks post-partum, the memories of my childbirth experience were very upsetting. I was referred to the challenging birth workshop by my midwife, and I am so glad I went. The workshop helped me to reframe my narrative of my child’s birth. As a result of the workshop, I became much more at peace with my memories of the childbirth process and felt more able to focus on the experience of becoming a mother.
Birth Doula Workshop
This training is for anyone interested in assisting women and their families to have satisfying birth experiences. It is designed to help participants in becoming doulas, or professional labor support providers. This Birth Doula Workshop has been approved as a step toward certification with DONA International.
NEXT TRAINING: January 26, 27, 28, 2018
Labor support is here to stay. In today’s maternity care climate, with its reliance on technology and efficiency, parents can feel easily overwhelmed. They, as well as midwives, physicians and labor and delivery nurses, have come to appreciate the resources, techniques, knowledge and continuous empathetic support that a doula provides.
What is a Doula?
- Recognizes birth as a key life experience, understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists laboring women in preparing for and carrying out their plans for their birth
- Stays by the side of the laboring woman continuously throughout labor, with no change in shift
- Provides emotional support, practical comfort measures, an objective view-point and information to aid in decision making
- Helps make the birth experience a positive memory with rich rewards and feelings of accomplishment
Recent studies indicate that when a doula is present at birth, there are better outcomes for both mothers and babies, including shorter and more comfortable labors, fewer complications, fewer interventions, and greater maternal satisfaction with the birth experience.
- The significance of birth in the life of a woman.
- Review of current research on the benefits of labor support.
- Prenatal and postpartum visits.
- Assessing and assisting with the emotional and physical needs of a laboring woman in each phase of labor .
- Hands-on practice of techniques for relaxation and pain relief.
- Business aspects, certification with DONA International.
- Doula’s scope of practice, code of ethics.
The fee of $460 includes 3 days of training, doula training manual and other instructional materials, snacks and a certificate of completion.
Payment in full must be received prior to workshop. Cancellations will be honored until a designated cut-off date, less a $50.00 processing fee. No refunds are made after this time, however you may send someone else in your place.
Class meets from 9 AM to 5 PM each training day. You must be present for the entire workshop to receive a Certificate.
Please go to the DONA International website for clarification of requirements for certification.